Skip to main content

Click "Archive" or "Labels" in the sidebar to browse reviews, or use the search bar to look for a specific title.


Review: This One Summer

This One SummerThis One Summer by Mariko Tamaki
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The last words on the second-last page of the book:
Maybe I will have massive boobs.

Me: Lol what if this is the last sentence and it’s about boobs.
Me: *flips the page*


Boobs would be cool.

The absolute madlads did it. They made the last *two* sentences about boobs.

Anyway, hi, hello, welcome to this review, lol. I haven’t written a review in a hot minute because of school, but I read this for school and have some things I wanna say so here I am!!!

This One Summer is… about… one summer. A super duper regular-on-all-accounts summer. Like, so insanely regular that that’s what I thought the point was: to make the most normal contemporary book possible about what being a kid on a beach in summer is like. And I thought it succeeded with flying colours at this. It was even borderline boring at parts, but then I would remember what I was reading and would think, “... actually--yeah, that’s about right,” and continued on.

Then I finished reading (and you read about what that was like in the beginning of the review), and proceeded to read the synopsis on the book flap to see how this book was marketed. Mind you, I only read this because it’s required by my Comics class; I wouldn’t have ever read it otherwise because I’ve only heard mediocre things about it.

Anyway, so I find out that this book seems to be marketed as insanely way more intense than it actually is. Talkin’ about tragedy, and secrets, and heartache… like, no? I mean, like, but--no. Like--nah, no. You know? No. I mean… yeah, no.

It’s just that... there is some stuff that happens in the background, but because I witnessed them through the perspective of indifferent little kids it also made me feel indifferent as a reader. Like, everything else was always so normal and casual that anything potentially “tragic” also felt normal and casual. Far off, away, and ultimately inconsequential. So if you’re hoping for anything intense then you’re going to be insanely bored, lmao.

The main characters are two tween girls, which means that puberty-talk came up a lot, which is a literal staple whenever you’re reading anything about tweens... But which honestly just makes me feel really uncomfortable--but yenno that’s just me. Maybe because I never had these weird conversations with anyone when I was a tween... (Do people actually talk like this at that age???) I always thought that it was weird but maybe I’m the weird one.

This felt soooooo normal that I don’t even know what to think about it, nevermind rate it. Three stars I guess?


Please consider giving this review a "Like" if you've made it this far, it helps me out a lot! And follow me if you want more!


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts

Review: The Show Must Go On

The Show Must Go On by Kate Karyus Quinn My rating: 4 of 5 stars Because lucky me, even though I am 100 percent talking out of my ass, it turns out my ass is a secret genius. Wow. The Show Must Go On was surprisingly great. And by “great” I mean that this is very likely the best romance I’ve ever experienced (including books, movies, tv, etc.). It was also filled to the brim with funny lines like the one above, so for the first time in my life I found myself constantly laughing-out-loud while reading a book. But… then the ending happened… and it left me feeling insanely disappointed, which is what knocked a whole star off of my rating. Will actually walks over to [the bookshelf], like he's unable to resist the siren call of literature. Obviously, despite losing the glasses, his nerd instincts are still strong. First and foremost, since it doesn’t look like there are any reviews by people who have ever read Quinn before, I just want to st

Review: Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer My rating: 5 of 5 stars Scarlet Benoit by Lizgigler on DeviantArt Wooooo yeeaaahhhhh Scaarlett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was loads better than Cinder. Mostly because of Scarlet and Wolf, heheheh. Cinder’s POVs were always just like whatever, but when it went back to Scarlet that’s when the party started. It was also great because Scarlet’s POVs were loongg and Cinder’s were shoort. No beef against Cinder as a character, she know she my homegirl, but her POV is just not the most interesting all the time. I had really low hopes going into this book two of the Lunar Chronicles, mostly because of the fiasco that was Cinder. Okay I’m being way too hard on Cinder. I liked it. It was good… you know just a basic three star book. BUT SCARLET ON THE OTHER HAND. MMMH. Wonderful. Scarlet was tons of fun. This book had way better twists and turns and was overall just more enjoyable than Cinder. I don’t think I necessarily liked Scarl

Review: The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde My rating: 4 of 5 stars 3.5 stars. Oh my. Oh my my my. The Picture of Dorian Gray .... Hm. This was a good book, to put it bluntly. It's quite the interesting tale about "be careful what you wish for" and "don't be a dickhead, dickhead". I had exactly zero knowledge of what this was about when I started it, I just saw that it doesn't have many pages and thought it wouldn't take too long to finish. I was wrong. My main problem with this book stemmed from my inability to keep my focus on it. It amazed even me just how incredibly easily my thoughts wandered, to the point where I had read half a chapter but had no recollection of it. This happened very prevalently during Chapter 11. I re-read this chapter three times and even audiobooked it, but for the life of me I had no idea what was going on. But that was it. Nothing was going on. That chapter ended up being about... How do