Skip to main content

Click "Archive" or "Labels" in the sidebar to browse reviews, or use the search bar to look for a specific title.


Review: 毎日キスしていいですか? 3 [Mainichi Kiss shite ii desu ka? 3]

毎日キスしていいですか? 3 [Mainichi Kiss shite ii desu ka? 3] 毎日キスしていいですか? 3 [Mainichi Kiss shite ii desu ka? 3] by Hatsuharu
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I have exactly zero ideas of what to think of this volume right now. Chapter 9 was literally despicable, a very easy 1 star start to this volume. This series was always despicable since the start, but it seems like that chapter was its climax since the despicable-ness stopped and the manga went back to just being funny, with less despicability than ever. (I will stop abusing that word now, sorry.)

Nagio has always had zero regard for Kurumi's feelings, his own being the only thing mattering to him, but in chapter 8 he really took the cake. The end of volume 2 had us like "Yo wtf Nagio literally almost (or literally did??) molest this chick, wtf dude" (because yes we all collectively talk like surfer gangsters around here). But then the beginning of this volume (chapter 9) had us like "Nice you go girl, show it to him, he can't treat you like that, fuck him", since Kurumi finally started avoiding him which finally gave Nagio some kind of repercussion for his creepy actions. But then... at the end of chapter 9 he says:

I tend to dash forward as soon as I like someone so, I might have surprised you with things like that. I want you to tell me everything. [Source]

To which Kurumi replies...

I'm sorry for avoiding you all this time. I was embarrassed... [Source]

He's not sorry at all, never actually apologises, and justifies himself by saying he loves her and that's just the way he is; that he acts the way he does because he's trying to get to know her better... Now if he isn't the creepiest, rape-iest, little shit I've ever read... On top of him taking physical and sexual advantage over her, he's manipulating her to think that what he's doing is right, and that SHE'S the one in the wrong for feeling uncomfortable about it. He's taking advantage of his junior being "dull" and "naïve" (his words) for his own benefit. This is literally abuse. I held on until now but this is just really pushing this fucked-up shit over the edge.

...Is what I wrote after finishing that chapter. But now... I've finished the volume. After that incident he actually does become more considerate, and in the last chapter he tells Kurumi that the reason why is because he doesn't want her to ignore him again. Might sound good, however this reasoning is still off the mark and self-centred. He's still only thinking about himself and how her ignoring him means he doesn't get to use her for his pleasure anymore. He still doesn't truly care about her feelings, he's just forced to act more strategically in accordance to them. At first I thought that he had grown, but in reality he hasn't whatsoever. God damn it.

There is a silver lining. Up until now Nagio's actions have been highly problematic because they were largely non-consensual. He and Kurumi were not on the same page in regards to how fast and how far they wanted to take things in their relationship, but he didn't care and just bulldozed on anyway. However, by the last chapter in this volume things have evened out. It's evident that Kurumi now likes Nagio a lot, and is ready to take the next step which was nearly forced onto her only three chapters earlier (she really is an airhead, isn't she...). It seems like this might finally start becoming a non-rape-y series going forward, though it's still creepy since it feels like the reason is because Nagio took advantage of Kurumi's naïveté by manipulating her into liking him enough to finally give consent.

This is not a good series and should not be read by anyone. That said... It's funny and entertaining and I'm having a good time writing these reviews about it... So I will take one for the team and keep going.


Please consider giving this review a "Like" if you've made it this far, it helps me out a lot! And follow me if you want more!
Click to read my other Can I Kiss You Every Day? reviews:
Volumes: 1 | 2 | 3* | 4

*Current review


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts

Review: The Show Must Go On

The Show Must Go On by Kate Karyus Quinn My rating: 4 of 5 stars Because lucky me, even though I am 100 percent talking out of my ass, it turns out my ass is a secret genius. Wow. The Show Must Go On was surprisingly great. And by “great” I mean that this is very likely the best romance I’ve ever experienced (including books, movies, tv, etc.). It was also filled to the brim with funny lines like the one above, so for the first time in my life I found myself constantly laughing-out-loud while reading a book. But… then the ending happened… and it left me feeling insanely disappointed, which is what knocked a whole star off of my rating. Will actually walks over to [the bookshelf], like he's unable to resist the siren call of literature. Obviously, despite losing the glasses, his nerd instincts are still strong. First and foremost, since it doesn’t look like there are any reviews by people who have ever read Quinn before, I just want to st

Review: Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer My rating: 5 of 5 stars Scarlet Benoit by Lizgigler on DeviantArt Wooooo yeeaaahhhhh Scaarlett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was loads better than Cinder. Mostly because of Scarlet and Wolf, heheheh. Cinder’s POVs were always just like whatever, but when it went back to Scarlet that’s when the party started. It was also great because Scarlet’s POVs were loongg and Cinder’s were shoort. No beef against Cinder as a character, she know she my homegirl, but her POV is just not the most interesting all the time. I had really low hopes going into this book two of the Lunar Chronicles, mostly because of the fiasco that was Cinder. Okay I’m being way too hard on Cinder. I liked it. It was good… you know just a basic three star book. BUT SCARLET ON THE OTHER HAND. MMMH. Wonderful. Scarlet was tons of fun. This book had way better twists and turns and was overall just more enjoyable than Cinder. I don’t think I necessarily liked Scarl

Review: ROBOT×LASERBEAM 1

ROBOT×LASERBEAM 1 by Tadatoshi Fujimaki My rating: 3 of 5 stars When I first heard of this series, this is the first thing I wrote down in my notes: "Well this manga has got to have the worst title I have ever seen in my life. Also: Boo, golf." All that being said, I was still excited for this series because I had trust in Tadatoshi Fujimaki's ability to write a good sports manga, having been the author behind Kuroko's Basketball and all. Well, this manga's not bad. Or boring. It's good. It's just that there's not much that's really good or interesting or exciting about it. Yet. It's about a seemingly autistic high school aged kid named Robato (nicknamed Robo because of his mechanical qualities and apparent lack of emotions). Because of reasons that are explained later in the volume, he has absolute accuracy when shooting golf balls, and they fly so perfectly and straight that they resemble laserbeams .