Skip to main content

Click "Archive" or "Labels" in the sidebar to browse reviews, or use the search bar to look for a specific title.


Review: School Rumble, Vol. 5

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was the sportiest volume!! (Good!!) But it was handled in a way I didn’t like!! (Oh no!!!!) This volume opens with a focus on the girl on the cover, Karen, who’s a veteran amateur wrestler. She’s insanely strong and good at what she does, however since it’s not “womanly” she’s embarrassed about it which is something that makes me really sad! And other characters are creeped out about it and scared of her because of her skill, which makes both her and myself feel even worse!!! God damn it, Japanese society!!!!!! Why do you gotta make a girl feel bad for being good at something like that? Tsk.

This volume also teases the upcoming sports festival a lot, so that’s exciting since I’m a track athlete myself (and there are many track events at said festival). There are zero anime/manga about sprinting as far as I know, so I’m always excited for sports festivals since that’s the only place I can see my sport in anime/manga. Though there is at least a distance running anime airing right now, Run with the Wind , which is really great, would recommend.

This volume also only made me giggle once, maybe twice, max. That wasn’t a total deal breaker or anything though, because it was still otherwise entertaining. I still really enjoy how all of the chapters and events connect back into each other and flow together, like a REAL story, not just a comedy manga!


Please consider giving this review a "Like" if you've made it this far, it helps me out a lot! And follow me if you want more!
Click to read my other School Rumble reviews:
Volumes: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5* | 6

*Current review


Comments

Popular Posts

Review: Bitter Witness: Otto Dix and the Great War

Bitter Witness: Otto Dix and the Great War by Linda F. McGreevy My rating: 0 of 5 stars This is a very unique and interesting academic text. There are no other examinations of the German artist Otto Dix, his war experience, and his war-related art that are quite as in-depth as this one, while also covering a wide range of different aspects and angles of not only the artist's story, but also the Great War's. I used this as a source for a University research essay I wrote on the effects of Dix's war experience on the creation and effects of his painting Skat Players (1920). I was very late in starting my research so I unfortunately had to stick to only reading the information I could use for my own examination, rather than being able to devour this book in its entirety. However, the library requires this book be returned at the end of January of next year, so I have some time now to actually finish this book since the semester has finished...

Review: The Art of the Adventures of Tintin

The Art of the Adventures of Tintin by Chris Guise My rating: 5 of 5 stars The Art of The Adventures of Tintin was even better than I could have ever dreamed. This is my first "Art of" book, and I kind of knew what I was getting into but I was still surprised. I didn't even mean to start reading this when I started reading this. We were given an assignment in art class to design a poster for the school play and I really had no ideas. I remembered that these "Art of" books are full of concept art so I decided to flip through this one. Well, next thing I knew I wasn't just flipping through it, I was completely engrossed in it. I flipped to the first page and started properly reading it. This book was a good reading experience. Right off the bat Chris Guise lets the reader know that he's not going to bombard you with text, that he's gonna let the art do most of the talking and he's going to make the best "Ar...

Review: Jared's Quest: An Unfortunate Fairy Tale Short Story

Jared's Quest: An Unfortunate Fairy Tale Short Story by Chanda Hahn My rating: 5 of 5 stars Oh my god this was sooo great. I really want to give this five stars just because it was soo sooo soo soooooo enjoyable but let’s face it, this is NOT on the same level as like, Catcher in the Rye or some other REAL five star book. So I’ll give it 4.5/5 stars. I’ve read my good share of companion novellas. What really sucks is when the novella doesn’t seem necessary (Cough, Four , cough, Fairest ). Even if it’s enjoyable I just can’t fully enjoy it if it doesn’t actually add something to the main story or give me a substantial amount of information. But hey guess what? Jared’s Quest was not only an awesome read, but it also dishes out a butt-ton of information! This really is a must read for lovers of the Unfortunate Fairytale series. I definitely think you must read this at least after reading Reign and NO SOONER (even though it’s set between books 1 ...