Skip to main content

Click "Archive" or "Labels" in the sidebar to browse reviews, or use the search bar to look for a specific title.


Review: My Hero Academia: Vigilantes, Vol. 1

My Hero Academia: Vigilantes, Vol. 1 My Hero Academia: Vigilantes, Vol. 1 by Hideyuki Furuhashi
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Banner
(Read right to left. Mouse-over images to view sources)

My Hero Academia: Vigilantes is a fanfiction spin-off manga of the fantastic My Hero Academia series, and I'd say it was a pretty bold move to try something like this since it has such an amazing behemoth to live up to. So? How does Vigilantes compare to its predecessor? Well, if you noticed my rating you might have guessed that I didn't think it did a great job.

Vigilantes was a mixed bag for me. There were certain parts that I liked, but then other parts that just soured the whole experience.

The concept is a plus, for me. It takes a look into a new aspect of this hero society that the main series doesn't show: The underground heros who act illegally without a license, who help out with slightly smaller crime like street fights and whatnot, and who help tackle bigger busts like drugs from different angles that pro heros can not. They're not restrained by the law or by society's rules like the pros are, and as their thanks they have to stay away from the cops so they don't get thrown behind bars. A bit ungrateful*, them.

*If you want to read a book where vigilantes are fed up with being restrained by the law and are rebelling to take over society, try reading Marissa Meyer's Renegades, it was a thoroughly enjoyable read, much better than Vigilantes.

The main character is Koichi, a 19 year old first year in university. His introduction paints him as a pretty big dillweed loser who bows at people's feet and whose first instinct is to agree and walk away when told to do so by someone currently sexually assaulting a girl...

Evidence. Chapter 1 page 26

Ahem. But yenno, what makes a true hero isn't how you act automatically in the presence of evil, it's about how super-awesome-sick your superpower is! Right? Or... Wait. Did I get that backwards? It sure seems like Furuhashi-sensei (the author of this manga) did when he wrote that scene... And then consequently forgot he wrote it because...

Masked guy saying: In that moment, when it’s clear what's gotta be done… Do you take action, or don’tcha?! Chapter 1, page 41

Yeah, uh, you can just move right along, masked guy, there's no one here that has the right answer to your question. Except then they act as if Koichi does... Am I missing something here??? He acts EVENTUALLY, yes, but I thought the whole point was that you act IMMEDIATELY and without prompt or thinking about it. This was just a specific thing that I thought was really dumb.

Anyway, speaking of that masked guy... I sure liked him! Vigilante name: Knuckleduster! He actually DOES act like a hero. I mean, if you're okay with heros killing people, then all Knuckleduster does is beat the ever loving shit out of people! Pretty A-Okay and heroic by those standards! He actually lives by hero ideals (though, granted, not their laws), and he's hilariously over the top violent while he's at it. I even love the classically comic-bookish way that he's drawn, so it's an overall great time to read about and look at him.

The next main character is someone who I don't have anything negative to say about personally, but who plays a big role in the worst part of this first volume. Kazuho Haneyama, vigilante name: Instagram Ass Model Pop☆Step. The contents of his volume include introducing and setting up the angle of the story, the characters, and Pop getting captured/sexually assaulted not once, not twice, but THREEEEEEEEE times!!!!! Come on!! It was the same damn thing over and over again, the only difference being Koichi getting slightly better at using his quirk to save her each time. I was actually shocked at the lack of creativity, and at Furuhashi's audacity of milking the ever loving shite out of what should be a dead trope.

That honestly killed this volume for me. How could I enjoy a volume that plays its readers for fools who wouldn't mind just reading the same thing THREE times in the span of FIVE chapters? Really? Huge disappointment. The things that happened between these dumb kidnappings were definitely entertaining, but got super ruined and overshadowed by said dumb kidnappings. Way to really bring home the fact that your main heroine is fucking useless, and to only use her as ass-service and as a prop to make your main male leads look better. Honestly disgusting. I wasn't mad at this book during or right after reading it, but damn has it got my blood boiling thinking back on it.

I don't even want to say anything else. I've said enough. Is Vigilantes as good as My Hero Academia? TLDR: No fucking way. Not even fucking close. Horokoshi NEVER and WOULD NEVER pull this kind of fucking bullshit.

If you shut your brain off and just read it for the thrills and detective aspects of it then you'll have an entertaining and fun read. Heck, even I mostly enjoyed myself while reading it. It's just that if you turn your brain back on during or after reading it, you'll realize it's actually pretty shit.


Please consider giving this review a "Like" if you've made it this far, it helps me out a lot! And follow me if you want more!
Read my My Hero Academia Reviews:
Volumes 1-10
Volumes 11-20


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts

Review: The Show Must Go On

The Show Must Go On by Kate Karyus Quinn My rating: 4 of 5 stars Because lucky me, even though I am 100 percent talking out of my ass, it turns out my ass is a secret genius. Wow. The Show Must Go On was surprisingly great. And by “great” I mean that this is very likely the best romance I’ve ever experienced (including books, movies, tv, etc.). It was also filled to the brim with funny lines like the one above, so for the first time in my life I found myself constantly laughing-out-loud while reading a book. But… then the ending happened… and it left me feeling insanely disappointed, which is what knocked a whole star off of my rating. Will actually walks over to [the bookshelf], like he's unable to resist the siren call of literature. Obviously, despite losing the glasses, his nerd instincts are still strong. First and foremost, since it doesn’t look like there are any reviews by people who have ever read Quinn before, I just want to st

Review: Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer My rating: 5 of 5 stars Scarlet Benoit by Lizgigler on DeviantArt Wooooo yeeaaahhhhh Scaarlett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was loads better than Cinder. Mostly because of Scarlet and Wolf, heheheh. Cinder’s POVs were always just like whatever, but when it went back to Scarlet that’s when the party started. It was also great because Scarlet’s POVs were loongg and Cinder’s were shoort. No beef against Cinder as a character, she know she my homegirl, but her POV is just not the most interesting all the time. I had really low hopes going into this book two of the Lunar Chronicles, mostly because of the fiasco that was Cinder. Okay I’m being way too hard on Cinder. I liked it. It was good… you know just a basic three star book. BUT SCARLET ON THE OTHER HAND. MMMH. Wonderful. Scarlet was tons of fun. This book had way better twists and turns and was overall just more enjoyable than Cinder. I don’t think I necessarily liked Scarl

Review: ROBOT×LASERBEAM 1

ROBOT×LASERBEAM 1 by Tadatoshi Fujimaki My rating: 3 of 5 stars When I first heard of this series, this is the first thing I wrote down in my notes: "Well this manga has got to have the worst title I have ever seen in my life. Also: Boo, golf." All that being said, I was still excited for this series because I had trust in Tadatoshi Fujimaki's ability to write a good sports manga, having been the author behind Kuroko's Basketball and all. Well, this manga's not bad. Or boring. It's good. It's just that there's not much that's really good or interesting or exciting about it. Yet. It's about a seemingly autistic high school aged kid named Robato (nicknamed Robo because of his mechanical qualities and apparent lack of emotions). Because of reasons that are explained later in the volume, he has absolute accuracy when shooting golf balls, and they fly so perfectly and straight that they resemble laserbeams .