Skip to main content

Click "Archive" or "Labels" in the sidebar to browse reviews, or use the search bar to look for a specific title.


Review: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Definitely least favourite of the Potter books so far, which is a pity for how long it was.

From the very beginning I thought it was quite slow, even boring at times. Nothing that happened was surprising or even felt significant. It picked up when they started the D.A., but then the exams started and it plunged straight back down. The whole series all this talk of exams really made me feel anxious. One of the whole points of reading (for me at least) is to forget real life's problems and just envelop myself in a story. So when they start talking about the stress of exams, it makes me also feel the stress of exams! I have my own version of the O.W.L.s coming up and I don't need any reminders, thank you!

The character Professor Umbridge was a real prat. Didn't like her very much, as I think many will agree. Speaking of characters, I really wish to see Krum again soon! My dear Krum, who was only mentioned as Hermione's pen pal. Quite a shame, really. Ron's jealousy of course did not help one bit.


All of my Harry Potter Reviews:
Book 1
Book 2
Book 3 (Nonexistent)
Book 4
Book 5
Book 6
Book 7

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts

Review: Bitter Witness: Otto Dix and the Great War

Bitter Witness: Otto Dix and the Great War by Linda F. McGreevy My rating: 0 of 5 stars This is a very unique and interesting academic text. There are no other examinations of the German artist Otto Dix, his war experience, and his war-related art that are quite as in-depth as this one, while also covering a wide range of different aspects and angles of not only the artist's story, but also the Great War's. I used this as a source for a University research essay I wrote on the effects of Dix's war experience on the creation and effects of his painting Skat Players (1920). I was very late in starting my research so I unfortunately had to stick to only reading the information I could use for my own examination, rather than being able to devour this book in its entirety. However, the library requires this book be returned at the end of January of next year, so I have some time now to actually finish this book since the semester has finished...

Review: The Art of the Adventures of Tintin

The Art of the Adventures of Tintin by Chris Guise My rating: 5 of 5 stars The Art of The Adventures of Tintin was even better than I could have ever dreamed. This is my first "Art of" book, and I kind of knew what I was getting into but I was still surprised. I didn't even mean to start reading this when I started reading this. We were given an assignment in art class to design a poster for the school play and I really had no ideas. I remembered that these "Art of" books are full of concept art so I decided to flip through this one. Well, next thing I knew I wasn't just flipping through it, I was completely engrossed in it. I flipped to the first page and started properly reading it. This book was a good reading experience. Right off the bat Chris Guise lets the reader know that he's not going to bombard you with text, that he's gonna let the art do most of the talking and he's going to make the best "Ar...

Review: Jared's Quest: An Unfortunate Fairy Tale Short Story

Jared's Quest: An Unfortunate Fairy Tale Short Story by Chanda Hahn My rating: 5 of 5 stars Oh my god this was sooo great. I really want to give this five stars just because it was soo sooo soo soooooo enjoyable but let’s face it, this is NOT on the same level as like, Catcher in the Rye or some other REAL five star book. So I’ll give it 4.5/5 stars. I’ve read my good share of companion novellas. What really sucks is when the novella doesn’t seem necessary (Cough, Four , cough, Fairest ). Even if it’s enjoyable I just can’t fully enjoy it if it doesn’t actually add something to the main story or give me a substantial amount of information. But hey guess what? Jared’s Quest was not only an awesome read, but it also dishes out a butt-ton of information! This really is a must read for lovers of the Unfortunate Fairytale series. I definitely think you must read this at least after reading Reign and NO SOONER (even though it’s set between books 1 ...